I'm sure many of you are too young to remember "Wrestling at the Chase." I started watching it when I was around 9 years old. It was an hour long show of wrestling that came on every Sunday morning. So after I went to church I would settle down on the couch in front of the television with a stack of pancakes, eggs or something else to eat & watch it with my Mom. Why we watched it...I have no idea! There were no men in the house...just us two. We really enjoyed it for several years until it became "too staged."
I have never been on a wrestling team but have "wrestled" many times in my life. Sometimes it was physical wrestling...especially my JR High years when I thought it was necessary to fight with everyone who looked at me wrong. There were a couple of times that may have been "valid & noble" fights but the others were just plain silly.
So why did I do it? I'm not really sure...hormones, supressed anger, looking out for "me."
I have "wrestled" since then but it's been spiritual & emotional wrestling. I've wrestled with God, myself, & others around me who were trying to help me. Why would I wrestle with God? That's a good question because we know who's going to lose that match...me! Why would I wrestle myself? I really have no idea. Why would I wrestle with others who are trying to help me? Lots of reasons but none of them "good" ones...pride, stubborness, fear, exhaustion, etc.
I have wasted a lot of time & energy over the years "wrestling." As a Christian I am suppose to "fight" but not with people...and not in my own strength. The Bible says, "Be strong with the Lord's mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies & tricks of the Devil. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh & bone, but against the evil rulers & authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, & against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6: 10-12
Don't forgot to put on God's armor today & stand strong in Him!!!
6 comments:
Standing strong, sister!! Thanks for the reminder!
Wrestle not......
Having done all to stand, stand therefore!!
Thanks Michelle! :o)
Thanks for your honesty Kathy. I needed that reminder today.
Kathy, You are absolutely wonderful with your words! I love to read your blog, and always end up really pondering what you say! Thanks for all you post!
Thanks for sharing! We are taking four of our children out of Christian school and putting them back in public Monday. I needed the encouragement that they have God's armor to face it.
I must admit I am weary from wrestling.
hmmmm...thanks for some thoughts!
Post a Comment