Monday, July 7, 2008

Almost a month...

has gone by since I went to Haiti on June 9th. I usually post a lot of pictures & tell stories after I get back but this time I didn't. Part of me wants to keep them to myself because a "silly" part of my brain & heart think that if I share these precious memories with others that I will have "less" for myself & since I don't plan to go back again until it's time to bring our children home...I want to keep as much as possible. I know this probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me but I assure you that "I" know what I'm talking about :o)

So tonight I am letting go of this irrational fear or thought. After several delays, I arrived to the "O" at about 8pm. I had a feeling before I walked through the doors that my children would be asleep because they usually "crash" at 7pm. As I walked through the doors I was met by all the downstairs children except Shakira because she was asleep as I had suspected. I gave them hugs & kisses & said Hello to the nannies. I then walked over to Shakira's bed which is a bottom bunk stuck in the corner of the room. I leaned down & kissed her cheek & said, "Shakira...it's mama...I love you." She in turn said, "Ugh" & turned over on her other side & kept sleeping :o)

I then headed up to the nursery. Samara was asleep as well. Caleb was getting his nightime "wipe down" & his diaper changed so I went over to Samara's bed. I knelt down on the floor next to her bed & gave her a kiss & said, "Samara...it's mama...I love you." She didn't blink an eye...and kept on snoring...and boy can that girl snore! :o) I was then mobbed by the little ones that weren't in bed yet. They are all so cute! By this time Caleb was changed & looking at me intently. I don't know what he was thinking but his eyes & face looked liked he was saying, "Ugh...hey mom...what about me? You know...you're cute, adorable son who has been waiting what seems like forever to see you again...could you please come over here now?"

So I walked over to him & he reached out for me & gave me a long, curious look. At first I wasn't sure if he really recognized me but after a couple of minutes he was "attached" & he didn't want me to leave his sight. I couldn't believe how much he had grown since I saw him in December. Of course I've seen pictures of him since then but it's not the same. Now he was walking & saying "Mama & Aye!" At first he didn't smile much & I labeled him a serious thinker like his daddy but after the first day he smiled & laughed a lot for me.

I loved on him for awhile & then it was time for me to go to bed. I was exhausted & morning comes a lot earlier in Haiti than it does here even though I get up at the same time...go figure...it must be the rooster effect! :o)

Samara & Shakira were up & waiting for me the next morning. Either the nannies or the other kids must have told them that I had come in the night before. As soon as they saw me their faces were covered with a big smile...but I think my smile was bigger :o) Of course they both wanted me to pick them up at the same time which is not easy to do. Normally Samara is the one who gets held first because she lunges at you & Shakira usually just runs around you but not this time. This time Shakira lunged first...much to Samara's disappointment! After some hugs & kisses it was time to look at Shakira's foot. So I assisted Sandy with the dressing change & held Shakira's hands at the same time. I was impressed with how clean the wounds were & keeping it clean was what we focused on the whole time I was there.

To be continued...

9 comments:

Brandy and Troy said...

Thanks for sharing. It brought tears to my eyes. I am so thankful that I was with you on the first trip and was able to spend time with your children. I love them. Their is no other way to describe it. Some may not understand, but that little time with them was amazing. I believe that the Lord has placed a love for them on my heart and I continue to pray for them! They are beautiful children and I can not wait to see them home with their family!!

Sarah and Tim said...

Kathy,
Thanks so much for sharing. I know none of this story was about my child, but to hear stories in general, take me back. Take me back where I have LOVED to be. The stories allow for imagination, that is a good feeling!

Amanda said...

I, too, love to read about your adventures to see your children. I hope you bring them home permanently, very soon.

You may have posted this before, but I'm curious, where are you in the process? IBESR or Parquet?

Kathy Eden said...

You're welcome! I will try to give a recap of each day of my trip...but of course I'll have to spread it out over a posts.
Amanda...we've been out of Parquet for over a month now. I'm praying that we're in MOI & just don't know it yet :o)

kelly said...

Kathy Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! I pray that as you share that instead of giving something away it will just grow deeper in your heart!

Abbie said...

I had in mind the exact sentiment as Kelly. She said it so well, I will just echo her comments!!

Salzwedel Family said...

Love hearing about your trip. I love that Shakira made a quick move for her mama! I can't wait until the day I experience this place for myself.

Kristina said...

I understand completely!

It always takes me awhile to share. Thank you for giving me some insight to your children!

CG said...

That's funny. I thought I was the only one with irrational thoughts about sharing stories and photos from my trip somehow diminishing my experience with my kids. I wonder where we got such a notion? I love hearing about your kids. They certainly are 3 unique little individuals! I love them, too! And I am also praying that you're in MOI and just don't know it yet.