This is from a devotion that Randy & I did this morning. It's from Max Lucado's "Grace For The Moment" devotion book. Although I know the "real" purpose of life, sometimes I get side tracked by the immediate things going on in my life such as now with the adoptions. I know that's not my purpose for living but the things that are required to make it happen require me to put a lot of time & energy into it. It is during these times that I need to remind myself that this is another journery in the journey of life to serve & praise my Lord.
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, & all your mind."
Matthew 22:37
Mine deep enough in every heart & you'll find it: a longing for meaning, a quest for purpose. As surely as a child breathes, he will someday wonder, "What is the purpose of my life?"
Some search for meaning in a career. "My purpose is to be a dentist." Fine vocation but hardly a justification for existence. They opt to be a human "doing" rather than a human "being." Who they are is what they do; consquently they do a lot. They work many hours because if they don't work, they don't have an identity.
For others, who they are is what they have. They find meaning in a new car or a new house or new clothes. These people are great for the economy & rough on the budget because they are always seeking meaning in something they own...Some try sports, entertainment, cults, sex, you name it. All mirages in the desert of purpose...
Shouldn't we face the truth? If we don't acknowledge God, we are flotsam in the universe. (Kathy translation of flotsam in this example: we are like worthless chaff blowing in the wind)
So what's your purpose???
5 comments:
Wow Cathy!!! I believe that My purpose in Life is to be the best Christian Mother, Wife, Friend, Co-Worker, Sister, Daughter etc that I can be. I want others to look at my life, and know that there is something different and special. I want to be the person that people look at and go "she's for real, she's true" My purpose in life is to do what ever I am doing at the time to be as Christ like as it can possibly be. I want to life a life pleasing to the Lord, rather in work or play. I hope I don't sound crazy saying that these are the things I find to by my purpose....Love, Sarah
p.s. I cannot wait to meet your daughter Shakira!!!!
Hi Sarah...we think a lot alike but I feel the same way. One of the best compliments I have ever recieved from a friend who is not a Christian was..."You're a "cool" Christian...you're for real." He liked that I could verbalize why I believe what I believe as try to live it as best as I can. He also liked that I "showed" Christ's love instead of trying to "cram" it down his throat like others had tried.
I use to work with a lot of non believers & now that I'm at home I think I get "lazy" sometimes about showing God's love. I definetely need to work on that!
I can't wait to meet Shakira either!!! As well as my other 2 children...3 & 1/2 more days...I can't wait!
oops...meant to say "because" I feel the same way.
Kathy- thanks for sharing. I am so excited for you and your first trip to Haiti. I can't wait to hear about it when you return!!!
Hi Cathy! You're welcome! I can't wait to meet your children & give them hugs from you!
Post a Comment