Monday, July 9, 2007

You got to be kidding!!!

Okay...I've spent most of the weekend struggling with packing our supply bags. Randy & I have to bring 200 pounds of supplies for the orphanage. A) That's a lot of things B) That's a lot of things to pack in duffle bags. So I have packed, unpacked, repacked, unpacked, & repacked some more! I think I finally got the bags filled how they need to be. So I should be happy right? Ugh, NO! Now the really fun part begins. I have to pack a carry on...you know...those really small suitcases that I usually pack just tolietries in...with almost everything I am going to need for a week in Haiti. You got to be kidding! The people who made this rule obviously haven't seen how I pack when I go on a trip! Please pray that I can carefully cram everything I need into a itsy, bitsy carry on. And then pray that I can do it again for Randy's carry on. Thanks!

4 comments:

Gail said...

Kathy, I'm one of "those people" who made the rule!! BUT, you would be so surprised by how much you can fit into a carry-on. Here are a few tips that I use to get more in to one:

1)Roll all your clothes. TIGHT! Yes, they will wrinkle a little but in the humidity of Haiti those wrinkles will fall right out.

2)Put your shoes along the bottom of the suitcase. They will take up less room if you line them up.

3) Leave the blow dryer and curling iron at home! There isn't enough electricty to make it worth having and it's just to hot to use them anyway!

4) If you have to have a curling iron, invest in a butane one. They are much smaller and you do not need electricty. They are hard to find but I found one at Long's drug store.

5) There is laundry service at St. Joseph's. Pack less and take advantage of it!

6) Pack your travel size cosmectics (in a TSA approved quart size Zip lock bag, of course) in your back pack or purse. It makes it much easier to take the bag out and put it through the security belt and leaves a little more space in your suit case.

I have found that I really do not need as much "junk" to survive as I thought. I pack so much lighter now anywhere I go because of my many trips to Haiti.

And...

If all else fails, take up room in your husband's suitcase. Men never need as much as we do anyway!! :)

Kathy Eden said...

Thanks for the tips Gail!!! I have been practicing my tight rolling skills for the past couple of months so I should be good on that. Definetely don't need a curling iron or blow dryer...that's why I love super short hair!

Michelle said...

Gail is right, it's amazing how much you can cram in a little suitcase!! I've become quite the pro as well. Another recommendation is the vaccuum space savor bags. They are awesome!

Kathy Eden said...

Thanks Michelle!