Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Focus...

Ever get the feeling that God is trying to tell you something that you have been "discreetly" trying to ignore? Well, that is what has been going on with me & my "focus". I know He has been prodding me lately about it. I guess I haven't responded in the way He wanted so now He's being more direct. Last night I was reading a book & the section was on focusing. Today I read my devotional book & it was about your focus. So I guess I can't ignore it anymore...well, I could but that would not be good. Below is an excerpt of what I was reading last night. It's from the book "Creative Correction" by Lisa Whelchel.

Focusing

Imagine walking down a gold-paved path toward a majestic castle. It's a lovely day-the birds are singing, the breeze is gently blowing, the sky is blue, & the flowers are blooming. The day is so beautiful that you're tempted to leave the path & turn cartwheels in the meadow. But your goal is to visit the castle, so you stick to the path.
Just when you've decided to stay the course, however, a yellow & black butterfly flits right in front of your nose & lands on a flower just ahead of you. You love butterflies, & quietly you sneak toward it. Just as you reach it, the butterfly sails into the air & lands on another flower. Again, you tiptoe up to it, wanting desperately to catch it. This continues for minutes, then hours-and before you know it, you've wandered too far from the path to reach the castle that day. Frustrated, you flop onto the grass. The day is gone, & you have nothing to show for it.
How often do we start chasing "butterflies" when we should be sticking to our path? This story helps illustrate how easily we can get distracted from our goal-and why it's important to stay focused.

This really spoke to me. I use to be "too" focused, where I would continue on with some thing no matter if I didn't sleep, eat, etc. Now I have swung to the other extreme where my focus is easily distracted & distorted. Dear Jesus, please help me to regain my proper focus on life & what you want me to do each day. Please redirect me when I wander off course. Thank you for this beautiful day! Amen!

5 comments:

Shannon H. said...

I too suffer from spiritual ADHD. Although my husband calls it my Christian Manic Depressive disorder sometimes :)

Thanks for the reminder.

Oh gotta go, pretty butterfly!

Kristina said...

hmmmmm...this has helped. I have been forming a blog post in my head and this has helped that endeavor!

Sarah and Tim said...

Katy, I pray that you can regain Focus, and Keep it. Use post it notes if you have to, it helps me and the kids I work with!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! This has really got me thinking of how EASILY I lose my focus.
Why is it so easy to get off track...it never turns out good.

Kathy Eden said...

You're right Jamie! I've done pretty good today but I've really have had to "think" about it.