Friday, January 18, 2008

Bizzarre trip to Wal-Mart...

I know that depending where you live in the county that bizzarre trips at Wal-Mart are quite common. I found that out from personal experience when we lived in NC. Our Wal-Mart's around here are pretty "normal." There is one around here that is busier than most & people sometimes get a little wild in the parking lot & the long check out lines but other than that it is pretty mild. Today, however, was an exception. Phoebe & I went there before I took her to preschool. We were there for a few minutes when my cell phone rang. I looked at the name & my heart sped up a bit because it was from a close friend of mine...one who had been waiting results from her MRI. I answered it & instead of hearing what I wanted to hear which was, "I'm fine...it was just a "blip" on the image." I heard, "They found a tumor on the frontal lobe of my brain." As my heart tried desperately not to sink & my brain searched for something spiritual & positive to say...she broke in & said, "The really good news is that they say it's really, really small...so small that they are just going to "watch" it for 4 months before they decide what to do."
Please join me in prayer for her total healing.

So after I got off the phone with her I was still a bit stunned & felt like I was aimlessly walking around in the store (which I probably was) until I was approached by an attractive looking man who looked to be about 45ish. Phoebe was sitting in the front of the cart. He said, "Mamm, I don't mean no disrespect." I said, "Ok." Figuring he was going to say some comment about Phoebe because that's usually who gets all the comments. He went on to say, "I just wanted to tell you that you're a very attractive woman." I graciously said, "Thank you." He then went on to ask me if I was married. I said, "Yes," & he said, "Some men have all the luck...and some men have none." With this I chuckled & said, "Thank you." We then parted & went our separate ways. I have no idea why that encounter took place. Maybe it was God's way of getting me to lighten up & take my focus off of my friend for a minute. Now that I look back at it, it was quite humorous. I was wearing a "sexy" Indianna hooded sweatshirt with jeans that are so worn there is a hole in one knee. Not to mention I had my darling 4 year old with me & I had just finished a pretty "endearing" rendition of Jack Warner's 80's hit "All I Need" (it was playing overhead in the store.)

I finished my shopping & went to one of the very long check out lines & stood patiently in line although Phoebe was already late for preschool. The lady cashier must have been new because I don't remember seeing her before & she talked about almost everything she scanned & put everything into bags...including milk, a large box thing, & a large bag of cat food. And what made this trip even more unusual is that Phoebe was very well behaved :o)

5 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Hey, we have the same "run to Walmart" outfit. Last two times I went I was wearing a long sleeved hooded red sweatshirt that says "Hoosiers." Yah. It's been cold for FL lately.

Kathy Eden said...

Makes you feel sexy doesn't it Kathy? :o)

Kathy Cassel said...

Comfy!

CG said...

When I saw the title of this, I thought, "What Wal-Mart trip isn't?" I'm glad to hear there are "normal" Wal-Marts in existence. I really had no idea...

I am sorry about your friend, and I hope the Lord brings healing.

I so wish I could have heard you singing All I Need! Thanks for giving me something to smile about :)

Kathy Eden said...

That's funny Cara! You should post about some of your "unusual" Wal-Mart encounters.
Thanks for your prayers for my friend.