Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Good News, Bad News & Bad News, Good News...

We returned from our trip last evening. It definetely was a "memorable" one. On the way to MO I get a call from my MIL saying that Randy's youngest sister just had a beautiful baby girl, Sierra Paige weighing 7.8 pounds (Good News!) but that they had to do an unexpected c section because the baby's heart rate starting flucating (Bad News). Mom & baby are both doing well now. Friday morning my great Aunt took my 84 yr old Grandma (her sister) & my 87 yr old Grandpa to their routine doctor's visit which is about a 30 minute drive from our home town. I get a call early afternoon from my great Aunt saying that they are admitting my Grandma to the hospital to run some tests on her to see why she was having so much abdominal pain. Then a couple hours later I get another call from my great Aunt saying they are taking my Grandma to surgery for a blockage in her stomach. Me, Randy, Phoebe, & my mom high tail it down to the hospital before she goes in for surgery. She is very scared & the last thing she said was, "I don't want no bag!" To make a very long story a little less long...she ended up having a severe blockage at the sphenic flexure with little pockets below that so the surgeron removed the entire colon (good call on his part) & gave her an ileostomy. Hence the bad news she had to have her colon removed & an ileostomy but good news that she made it through the surgery & he look around at her other organs & they all looked good. She had been progressing well for "her" after surgery but I just got a call from my mom today & it sounds kind of tedious right now. I'm not sure what is going on as I will have to call the hospital myself & get more details but she sounds over sedated right now to the point of not arousing much. Please keep my Grandma lifted up in prayer as well as my Grandpa who is terrified at the thought that she might die before he does. Thanks!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Wow...you can tell you are a nurse. That was a lot of big words. I will definitely be praying for her. Thanks for sharing!

Kathy Eden said...

Thanks Angela! Sorry about the big words! I guess it's a career related habit :o)