I've been MIA for the last few days because my Grandfather...who for realistic purposes is my "Dad" because my biological father was rarely in the picture when I was young & has not contacted me by any means for almost 21 years...became very sick last week. He has been living in a Veteran's Home for the past 6 months because he was getting more feeble & my 87 year old Grandmother could no longer care for him. He was admitted to the hospital a week ago for double pneumonia which I knew wasn't a good sign because although he has many health problems...his lungs have been his biggest issue for many years & he has been on oxgen 24/7 for 10 years. Anyway, Friday he turned 90 & my mom called me & said he was eating birthday cake. I didn't tell her but I immediately became concerned because he had not really eaten anything all week & had been out of it & then Friday he's all happy, talkative, & eating birthday cake...a sign to a seasoned nurse that it's the "calm before the storm." I wanted to head to MO right away but I had gotten an oil change Friday morning & they said my van was leaking antifreeze & I was told by 2 mechanics not to leave town in it without it being fixed. You guessed it...that wouldn't be until Monday. So I decided I would hang tight & wait for further updates from my mom. If necessary I would get a rental car & take off. Friday afternoon my mother called again saying that they were releasing him from the hospital back to the Veteran's Home with Hospice care.
Saturday morning she called again & said the Hospice nurse called the family & wanted to speak to them right away. That's when I decided it was time to leave. We made arrangements for a rental car & took off. On the way to MO, my mom called again & said he was in alot of pain & they were trying to get him comfortable with morphine. She said the hospice nurse said she would be surprised if he made it through the night. We arrived at the Veteran's Home at 3pm Saturday & Jesus took him home at 8:10pm that evening. The sad news is that we love him & miss him dearly but the glad news is that he's with Jesus & he's not suffering anymore!
My Grandmother, my uncle Charles, my mom, & I made the funeral arrangements on Sunday. The viewing was on Monday evening & the funeral was today. We are now back at home where I can "decompress" & truly start to grieve the loss of my "father." Prayers for strength, comfort, & peace during this time would be greatly appreciated!
Mixed along with these feelings are feelings of pure joy & excitement as we were told on Monday that we are out of MOI!!! Praise God!!! We are getting very close to bring our three Haitian beauties home! Please pray that the rest of the steps will go very quickly & smoothly...thanks!
6 comments:
So sorry about your loss, but I am very happy to hear he is with the Lord! I pray God will bring much comfort and peace to you and the rest of your family members as you grieve his passing.
As for MOI... Hallelujah! I hope we are on the same trip to pick them up! Things are about to get nice and LOUD around our houses!
I just wrote you this really long email and then lost it. UGH.
You have been on my heart for several days. I knew in my spirit that something was going on. I love you my friend and thank God for your friendship. I am praying for you. You know that we just went through the same thing so if you need an understanding shoulder that I am always here. Take comfort in knowing that you loved one is celebrating with Jesus. Praise God that you are so close to bringing your children home. Love you my friend. {{{hugs}}}
I'm so sorry about your dear loved one, Kathy. May God comfort you all during this time.
Congratulations on your exit from MOI! That's wonderful.
I'm so sorry Kathy. I am also thankful you had someone to step in, love you, and take the place of an absentee father. I pray you will find comfort and peace in time.
Congratulations on being out of MOI! It is so good to know your kids will be home soon.
Kathy - I, too, am saddened by your loss. BUT extremely excited about your files being out of MOI. Shouldn't be long before your three beauties are home.
Prayers & congrats.
Post a Comment