Monday, December 8, 2008

RUNNING!!!

Yes, you read right...as of today...I am running! This may not sound like a big deal to most people but believe me it is!!! When I was in high school I ran track for awhile & even after I quit track I kept running because I was obsessed with being "thin." It was nothing for me to run 10 miles a day. My running & exercise in general started to decrease as I started recovering from anoxeria. This was a several year process. My mistake however was in not seeeing "the big picture" of it all & how much "balance" is very necessary with most things in life. So I slowly started going the other way. Eating more & more food & exercising less & less until I finally stopped exercising all together. By the time I reached my heaviest weight wich was 206 pounds I would get winded just going up a few stairs. In July 2004, when Phoebe was 10 months old, I decided I had to do something about my weight. I joined Weight Watchers & lost a total of 41 pounds.

During that time I started exercising again & realized how much I missed it & how much of a "release" it is for me. So for the most part I have exercised regularly since then. Running however had never crossed my mind until about a couple of years ago when I was motivated to try it after watching a Biggest Looser episode. Immediately after I stopped, I had back pain.(For those of you who don't know, I had back surgery in 2002) I tried a couple of times after that but kept having back pain so I decided that I was not meant to run ever again. I would have to stick to fast walking & I was okay with that.

Fast forward to yesterday when I was having lunch with my very good friend & "soul sister" & she's talking about how she's running 6 miles like it's nothing. And this is from someone who didn't have a running history but a few months ago God told her "to run" so she did. I got on the treadmill this morning with the intention of walking 5 miles but as soon as I got on I felt like God said, "You can do this, you can run. You're back will be okay. You need to stop running to food & "literally" run!" So I did, & as I started running I realized that I have had always had a competitive spirit deep inside me but I had never really let it out when I was growing up because I had so many other things to focus on that seemed a lot more important than if I could beat somebody at a race, a game, or whatever.

My goal was to run 2 miles in 30 minutes. I know that is really slow especially when I ran track I could do it in 12 but you have to remember that I haven't run in years & I'm overweight so I thought this was a realistic goal. As I kept an eye on the time I saw that I was really going to have to pick up the pace at the end if I wanted to meet my goal. So I thought about my friend & I thought about challenging her to a two mile race some day...and me winning!!! :o) So I picked up my speed & made the two miles just a little over 30 minutes. Did I make it in 30 minutes? No. Did I fail? No. Failing is when you don't even bother to try. I ran faster & longer today than I did yesterday...which was not at all. So today I broke through a "barrier" in my head as well as my legs, lungs, & back...and I won!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Cool!! I love running!!! It is a great stress reliever!! Have fun running!

Kathy Cassel said...

Yay for you!

CG said...

Yeah! I'm so proud of you!

Brandy and Troy said...

You go girl!!!

Hey, I lost your home address. Will you please email it to me!!
Thanks!

Amanda said...

GO GIRL! Running and exercising...that's all fun for me. I've taken December off because of schedules, but I'll be back full swing in January.

Yehaw! Run, Kathy Run (in a forest gump voice)~!!!!!

Salzwedel Family said...

Way to go Kathy!

Sarah and Tim said...

Kathy, I am very proud of you!!! I need to run, and in fact, you are an inspiration for me to get started.

Kathy Eden said...

Thanks everyone! Just FYI, I have no idea why the date changed after I posted this. It had originally posted for the date I posted it on which was Thursday the 11th but somewhere along the way Blogger decided to change it to Monday the 8th.