Yesterday was a "dead" day at our house. First, our oldest cat thought it would be neat to massacre a bird...and I mean massacre. We have blood all over our front porch steps...yuck!!! Then my neighbor across the street told me that her sister's cat had died. At feeding time last night I found one of Phoebe's two fish dead. I quickly scooped it out before she saw it. Word of caution...I wouldn't recommend your fish to have the same name as your children. Phoebe had named them Samara & Shakira. After Phoebe went to bed last night I calmly told Randy that Samara was dead. You should of saw the look on his face. I immediately had to add the words "the fish" "You think I would be this calm if our daugther was dead?"
What is it about death that we find so unsettling? Is it because we cherish life on this earth so much? Is it because we maybe uncertain of our eternal future? Or is it we're so convinced that we have no eternal future of any sort that we think death is pointless because it's just a final end? Maybe it's none of these & we just dearly love the person or animal that has just died & we long to be with them again.
Some Biblical food for thought:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
"For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your godly one to rot in the grave. You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence & the pleasures of living with you forever." Psalm 16:10-11
"If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life. And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose or forfeit your own soul in the process?" Luke 9:24-25
"And the one sitting on the throne said, "Look, I am making all things new! And then he said to me, "Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy & true. And he also said, "It is finished! I am the Alpha & the Omega-the Beginning & the End. To all who are thirsty I will give the springs of the water of life without charge! All who are victorious will inherit all these blessings, & I will be their God, & they will be my children. But cowards who turn away from me, & unbelievers, & the corrupt, & murderers, & the immoral & those who practice witchcraft, & idol worshipers, & all liars-their doom is in the lake that burns with fire & sulfur. This is the second death." Revelation 21:5-8
2 comments:
That was a hillarious story about the cat and the fish. I love your sense of humor. Thanks for the laugh!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. You'll soon find out that I'm the "story teller" of the family. Randy will give you a 1 sentence review of a life event where as I will give you "pages." Now ask him about how the heart pumps blood through the body or something like that & he'll give you more information than you ever wanted to know :o)
Post a Comment