For those of you who do not know my story, please allow me to give you some background history. I was taken to Three Angels Children's Relief in Haiti by my birthmother when I was 2 years old. I don't remember that but I have been told that when I was taken there I was malnourished & had many developmental delays. No one really knew what was going on with me. When my Mom & Dad heard God's call to adopt me, I was labled as having "special needs" but no one would put a name to what that was. One person said possible Cerebal Palsy, some said developmental delays from malnutrition, & as more health care professionals from the US interacted with me, many said I may have some form of Autism...whatever that is.
I have been home for over 3 months now & I am learning a lot. I am on the long journey of "finding Shakira." This is a strange place for me to be in. For four & half years, I basically wandered around & did pretty much what I wanted to as long as I was safe & not hurting no one else, but here, much is expected of me. I am expected to do most things by myself after being taught how. I am expected to use good manners & an "indoor voice." Sometimes I like doing these things...it's empowering & feels good, but sometimes it's a drag & I just don't want to do what I'm told.
I started kindergarten this fall in the severe special needs class at my school. I really like my class. My teacher & assistants are awesome but I am finding myself being restless & impatient while in class. I do not want to do what they tell me to do & I have been doing negative things to get attention. They talk to my Mom about how best to encourage & motivate me but they are running out of ideas. Today my teacher told my Mom that they have a consult in to a school behaviorist to see if that person can give them some suggestions. Please pray for me as I continue to struggle with doing what I know is right & doing what I want to do. Please pray for guidance, wisdom, & discernment for my Mom & Dad, teachers, & everyone involved with my care. Thank you!
10 comments:
I will be happy to pray for you and your family, Shaki. I know life must feel pretty strange for you as you've just been home for a few months and now you have new people caring for you at school. It's a lot to try and understand, but I know you can do it! I have seen you come a long way already! God bless you!
Thank you Justin & Peterson's Mom! I think you are very nice & my Mom says you are a wonderful person.
Shakira-thanks for sharing your heart. I have been and will continue to pray for you, your family and your teachers. You can do this, girl. You have overcome so much already...it may take some time, but I believe you are on the road to "Finding Shakira". With God, all things are possible.
oh my dear shakira i have been praying for you for a long time now. i will continue now with great fervor. i love watching you blossom on this journey! you have such joy! i always told groups that you were the happiest girl in the world! you never fail to make me smile! i love you!
Sweet Shakira. I love you SO much and pray for you. I have always believed in you and know that you are going to do amazing things. I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store. You are beautiful!! Praying for you sweet girl!!
Hugs. You'll get it.
Thanks everyone! Me & my Mom really appreciate the encouragement!
Dear Beloved you-you,
I miss you a lot! I want to be honest with you & let you know that I am not always joyful since coming home. I love being home but I loved being "foot loose & fancy free" in the confines of my world at the orphanage. This is a totally different world with many things to learn. A lot of times I learn the hard way but most of the time I do try...it just takes me awhile to "get it." I have a hard time focusing so it makes completing a task more difficult but I know with the help of everyone's prayers & support I will get it! Love you!
Shakira via Mom :o)
Praying for all of you.
I have been praying and will continue to pray!
Kathy you are doing amazing!
Praying! What a beautiful post.
Post a Comment