Friday, May 29, 2009

Sa-mare-a...

When we first decided to adopt Samara, I asked how they pronounced her name because I thought it should be pronounced Sa-mare-a because Samara is derived from the word Samaria. Well, I was quickly told that they pronounced it Sa-mar-a. Okay, no big deal. I started pronouncing it that way. Everyone pronounced it that way.

Well, guess what? There is one person that doesn't...and it's the pretty girl that has the name. She says Sa-mare-a & when I tried to get her to say Sa-mar-a, she said, "No...Sa-mare-a." So I went to bed last night thinking how in the world can we continue to say "Sa-mar-a" when she says "Sa-mare-a?" So this morning I told her of my dilemna & asked her which way she wanted us to say it & said, "Sa-mare-a." Now after 2 years & 5 months of pronouncing her name one way...I have to get use to saying it another way. I told her that I might "mess up" once in awhile & say it the other way but that I'm really going to try to say her name "correctly" all the time. Who wants to join me in this endeavor??? :o)

6 comments:

Lara said...

Oh - that is very interesting! I think it is so great that she understands and is confident enough to say hey, this is what my name is! I will definitely call her Sa-mare-a! I wonder if we'll have similar with Nata...her name is spelled differently every time I see it on something and there are several ways I've heard it pronounced...we'll see :-)

Jordyn said...

I will try!!!

CG said...

Oh man, It's going to be tough, but I'm not THAT old of a dog. I think I can do it.

angela said...

well then, saMAREa it is!

and lara's right! i've seen nata, nathaelle, natanaelle . . . so many!!

Kristina said...

Silly us for not knowing! ;)

We will definatly join you in this. I may mess up a bit too but I will do my best to remember!

cathy.troy said...

Definetly! Good for you for listening close enough to notice the difference and using what makes her most comfortable. We have heard different pronunciations for Manthania and even seen different spellings on paperwork. We may have the same issue.