Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day Seven...Heading Home...

Phoebe & I got up Wednesday morning & finished packing. We ate a "quiet" breakfast compared to the past several days with one or more of the kids by our side. I was dreading going to the O for just as few minutes to say "Good bye." To me it seemed cruel for all of us to go in there, get everybody worked up & then say Good bye. The team leader said he needed to go by to pick up something...would have been nice if that would have been taken care of the night before but it wasn't so we went.

Shakira immediately came running to me & Phoebe. She was so excited to see us & then we had to tell her "Good bye." Samara immediately started pouting & ignoring us. I didn't want to go to the nursery because I knew Caleb would start crying as soon as I got out of his eye sight but I could not be there & not see him so we went up. He was in his crib & the team was ready to leave so I just loved on him through the crib slats & told him that I loved him. We quickly walked out of the nursery, down the steps, & into the van. This is getting old. Saying Good bye to them...to put it bluntly..stinks! They are tired of it...and we are tired of it. Please Lord, bring them home to us very soon! Thank you!

We had a very interesting ride to the airport. We actually had a short wait through the line & then had lots of wait time after we got our boarding passes. We went upstairs to look at the shops & had a bite to eat before going to the gate area. We then had our final devotion as a team. Phoebe & I were very blessed to be a part of this team. Each person was awesome & it was so very cool to experience a trip with one of my bestest buds, my "older brother"...aka Don, & my "younger brother"...aka Jarod, not to mention my "boss"...aka Tim, & the "Creole translator"...aka Jason :o)

Suprisingly our flight left Haiti on time...I think that's a first for me! Phoebe & I had the priviledge of sitting behind the "3 Amigos" which was quite entertaining :o) We flew into FLL which was also a first for me. That airport makes a lot more sense than Miami...imagine that! :o) We left 92 degree weather in Haiti to arrive to 75 degree weather in FLL with their AC's on full blast. We were all shivering. Most of the team put on their jackets that they had brought with them but I couldn't do that because "we" accidentally left my jacket on the plane going to Chicago on the way to Haiti. So unfortunately, my very nice $2 thrift store jacket was replaced by a very over priced, "okay" sweatshirt that said FLL on it :o( We had lots of time at FLL before our flight to Chicago so the team ate an oversized late lunch at Chili's & a few of us topped off our meal with a delicious ice cream cone from Edy's...yeah, I know we were freezing but we still wanted ice cream :o)

Phoebe & I sat next to Tim on our flight from FLL to Chicago. We were suppose to only have 35 minutes or so to make our next flight but our flight from FLL was early...which was an answer to prayer...unfortunately we were very delayed leaving Chicago due to having to have the plane de-iced twice & then needing a new battery in a cart or something. This time Tim was sitting behind me. About 10 minutes before the plane was ready to take off, Phoebe stood up & threw up into her seat. Mr. "Quick Reflex" handed me a puke bag but we didn't need it anymore. The stewardess came running to us & handed me a bunch of towels, wipes, & a bag. After I got Phoebe & the seat cleaned up, she came back with Ginger ale & a wet cloth for Phoebe. Thank goodness she didn't have any more emesis on the plane. When we finally got to our airport we were all exhausted. The team said brief good byes & then we headed out. This time it was "Randy's taxi service" & we dropped off Jason, Tim, & Don before heading home. It was 12:30am when Phoebe got into bed & I had already decided that she would not be going to school in the morning.

10 comments:

angela said...

oh poor pheobe! kind of a let down at the end there.
i am with you 100% about ft lauderdale vs. miami airports. i really dislike miami. well, i hope pheobe had a wonderful time despite the flight home incident.

Amanda said...

oh man. Poor Phoebe! What a trip for you! Thank you so much for sharing your adventure. I love to read it!

Amanda said...

Oh I meant to say poor Shakira, too! She obviously is way too familiar with this process now! Bless her heart. May the next time be the time that she flies home!!

CG said...

Oh, poor Phoebe! And all the others who had to be left behind yet again... But I am rejoicing because this was the LAST TIME! No more goodbyes, please Lord. I did not realize Ft. L was so much better than Miami. Does it matter which one we fly in to when we bring our kids home? I'd LOVE to avoid the Miami chaos if possible...

Kathy Eden said...

No, Cara is doesn't matter which one. I would recommend going through FLL if you can. I would like to, but that route is not as frequent for our airport as Miami is & I'm not going to wait a 2 to 3 more days just so I can go through FLL :o)

Brandy and Troy said...

Kathy, I am so sorry that you had to leave your babies behind again. Know that we are praying that they will be home soon and that this is the last time that you will have to leave them behind. I love all of your children and I am praying for them to be home very soon.

Brandy and Troy said...

Sorry I kept repeating myself. I REALLY want them home with you.

Brandy and Troy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Eden said...

Thanks Brandy...I love you!!! :o)

Kristina said...

Good choice on the no school! And tell Phoebe not to worry Jessica thre up on the plane too!