Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday...

Today is "Good Friday." I always thought that was a strange title for today. I'm sure if I had beaten, made to carry a cross, & then be crucified on it...I wouldn't call it "good." I know that although Jesus's death was very painful & "bad" for him...it was "good" for us. For without it we would not have the opportunity to have a close, personal relationship with him through the Holy Spirit & we would still be sacrificing animals for the temporary atonement of our sins. Jesus made that atonement for us...once & for all.

The following is today's devotion from Dr. David Jeremiah. He mentions the different traditions that different countries across the world do at Easter. They also fly kites in Haiti at Easter.

Go Fly a Kite

There they crucified Him.
Luke 23:33


Recommended Reading
Luke 23:26-34


Today is Karfreitag, a German word meaning "Friday of Lamentation." In English we call it Good Friday, but other languages usually refer to it as Holy Friday. In Armenia it's called High Friday, and the Russians refer to it as Passion Friday. In China, it's known as the Day of Christ's Suffering.

In Bermuda, kites will be flown today, all of them using wooden frames in the shape of a cross. As the kites soar into the sky, they symbolize the crucified one who has now ascended into heaven. In England, hot cross buns will be served, and the BBC will introduce its morning newscast with a verse from Isaac Watts' hymn, "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross."

All over the world, Christians will pause today to ponder anew the wonder of our Lord Jesus who shed His blood for the sins of the world. Perhaps each of us should establish a personal tradition. Let's find a way and a time today to direct our thoughts to the old rugged cross and to thank God for overcoming death and making us more than conquerors through Him.


I can't control all the circumstances, but I have One who lives within me who is able to triumph over them all, because if He triumphed over death, is there anything that can happen to me that is too much for Him?
David Jeremiah

I pray that you are having a very blessed & thankful "Good Friday."

5 comments:

Abbie said...

Thanks for the info! My hubby and I were just talking in the past couple of days about the kite flying tradition in Haiti. We know that they fly kites for Easter, but weren't sure why or what the symbolism was.

Kathy Eden said...

You're welcome Abbie! :o)

angela said...

thank you, kathy. it was a good day. in light of His mercy and grace, every day is good!

CG said...

I did not know the meaning of the kites either. Way cooler than colored eggs, IMHO! Thanks for the info.

Kathy Eden said...

I agree with you Cara! :o)