Monday, June 1, 2009

Family Pictures & Weekly Update...

Well, so much for me getting to my weekly update on Saturday as I had hoped. But I guess I did have somewhat of a good excuse...Randy was gone from Wednesday morning until Saturday evening so I was solo with the kids. I was very thankful to see him Saturday night!

So Saturday marked week 3 of the kids being home. Some people might expect that it gets easier each week but I was prepared by other friends that have had their children home for awhile, that's not the case. They told me, "The children will have good weeks & bad weeks...and in no particular order. They will take one step forward & two steps back. This is a marathon adjustment...not a sprint." And they were 100% right!

Week one was very rough. Week two was pretty good. Week three was "okay." Everyone seemed to be doing okay except for Shakira. She had a rough week & when she has a rough day or week...it affects everyone. I'm praying that this week will be better but you never know. With special needs children...the slightest change in routine, the weather, or no change at all...can set them back. We knew this before hand but experiencing it...day in & day out...is something that you can not truly understand unless you experience it.

Please don't take this wrong...we love all of our children more than words could ever express...and Shakira is no exception to that...but we would be lying if we said it's "easy" to parent her. Yesterday I said to a friend that Phoebe was a very difficult child from ages 18 months until about a month before the 3 came home. I told her that I knew some day I would understand why I had to experience that with her. It was preparing me..."seasoning" me for this time in my life. Without it, I would have already "drowned". There is a reason...sometimes many reasons...why we experience difficult things...and many times they make us wiser & stronger. I see Shakira & I as "iron sharpening iron" & I can't wait to see the finish product...in both of us!

We had our first "official" family pictures taken yesterday by our amazing friend Todd. Here are some of them.


9 comments:

Kristina said...

Those are soooooooo good! I just now saw them on your blog! HA!

Todd so enjoyed taking your family's pictures! It really is a blessing for us to provide these for all you Evansville families who are home!

Thank you for letting us!

Salzwedel Family said...

It is so good to see your beautiful family all together. God is good!

carrie said...

what a beautiful family...i was so happy i was able to meet all of your children at the airport! what a lucky mommy!!!

Michelle said...

Praying for you guys! We are almost a year in and still have good weeks and bad weeks. I will say, however, that the bad weeks do get fewer with time.

Amanda said...

Beautiful family!!! God is good!

cathy.troy said...

Those are great photos. I wish I knew your photographer (lol). Praying God will give you new strength each day.

angela said...

oh my have you got yourself some beautiful children!!

Lena Just Lena said...

Awesome pics! Thanks for the update and the honesty. Prayers & hugs.

CG said...

YES, I also appreciate the honesty, especially since we're on very similar homecoming "timetables." I love hearing the good and the bad! And the photos are just lovely! We have yet to take a single family photo. Guess we better get on the stick...